Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Veterans Memorial Park: November 21, 2008

For my seventh site visit, I went to the Veterans Memorial Park in Lewiston. The day I went, it was cold, damp, and windy. When I parked I had to walk a little bit to look at the tablets. The park is positioned on the side of the Androscoggin River overlooking the falls. The park is neatly kept and the stone tablets tower over the land. As I walked up to the stones, the traffic behind me became silent. The park has a special significance to me because on one of the stones, my pepe who just passed away has his name on the World War II stone. After I looked at all of the stones, I left. I had never been before that day and I was pretty impressed how the park looked.
One of the most interesting tablets that is there is a tablet dedicated to the U.S.S Maine. The Maine was a ship built in 1897 and was dispatched to Cuba to coax Spain to the let colony go. The ship ended up being blown up and the people blamed Spain. "Remember the Maine" became the chant that everyone was saying in order to push Spain to let the island have its Independence. On the tablet is a projectile recovered from the U.S.S Maine.

Historical Significance

The most important thing about this park is that its preserving the memories of all the brave men and women that have fallen for our nation and Maine. The memorial just doesn't have the names of the men and women that have died, but has the names of the serving, served, and deceased. The tablets that are there aren't only from WWII but has the names of any man/women that is in a federal service. Ex. Police, Firefighter, Coast Guard, Military. I think that it is very important to have a memorial, especially in a place like L/A because there is a large population in these towns and a lot of serving men/women come from this area.
The park was created in 2002 and finally dedicated on
November 11, 2002. The park was originally called Heritage Park.

No comments: